EWG Summary and Straw Market Models | Request for Feedback
At the AESO Stakeholder Symposium on November 30, 2023, we will be sharing a high-level Summary from the EWG with all stakeholders. We invite all interested stakeholders to provide written feedback to share their insights and perspectives on the Market Pathways EWG Summary and on which straw market model overall stakeholders feel best achieves the four objectives.
The four objectives:
- A Reliable Electric Grid
- Affordable Electricity for Consumers
- Decarbonization by 2050 and Related Policy Objectives
- Reasonable and Realistic Implementation
The four objectives have been developed based on:
- AESO’s mandate and experience planning and operating the electricity system and designing, implementing and operating the wholesale electricity and ancillary services markets
- AESO’s observations of public discussion from both stakeholders and the Government of Alberta related to the current policy landscape
- EWG Input
The objectives will serve to focus the report to be submitted to the Minister of Affordability and Utilities by February 1, 2024
Throughout the EWG Sprint sessions, the straw market models have been broadly defined as follows:
- Energy-Only (Day Ahead or Real Time): Market model where supply type, size, and timing are determined by private sector investors without direction from a central agency, as determined by expectation of market conditions (for all products).
- Capacity Contract: A competitive auction that procures capacity to meet reliability targets. Typically, auctions are held at regular intervals and contract lengths are short duration (6 months – 5 years).
- Integrated Planning: Long Term Contracts that can be issued by a central agency (e.g., Ontario ISO) or a utility (e.g., BC Hydro energy calls) as part of their integrated resource plan to procure private sector investment through directed investment (type, size, location determined as part of an overall system plan).
- AESO Stakeholder Symposium Presentation (EWG Summary begins on slide 39 - Market Pathways Update)
- EWG Sprint I Pre-read Material
- EWG Sprint II Part I and Part 2 Pre-read Materials
- EWG Sprint III Brattle Memos: Ancillary Services in Energy-Only Markets, Australia Capacity Investment Scheme, Ontario Single Buyer Contracting Model
Request for Feedback
Interested stakeholders have an opportunity to provide written feedback to share their insights and perspectives by December 14, 2023.